I had this a couple of year ago when Tims' mom brought it out when she was visiting us. I absolutely loved it and got the recipe from her. I've been making it ever since.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
10.5 oz chicken broth
1 1/4 cup water
15 oz can hominy, drained
15 oz can corn, drained
15 oz can black beans, drained
4 oz can chilies
green onions, chopped
tortilla chips, crushed
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the chicken breast whole for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Take the chicken out and cut into cubes and return it back to the pan and cook for about 5 more minutes. Put the cooked chicken in a bowl until needed.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions until they are translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder and oregano and cook for another minute.
- Drain the hominy, corn and black beans.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, water, hominy, corn, black beans and chilies; stir. Add the chicken.
- Bring the soup to a boil, turn down to simmer and cover for an hour. Once it's done, add the cilantro and serve when ready.
The soup is so much better with all of the condiments. Just add any or all of the ones listed above.