Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chicken Divan

So I didn't expect it so soon, but we have a "fall break" this Thursday and Friday... which means no class. It's sad though, we were just getting into learning how to perfect our knife skills. I really need to practice my tourne cut as much as possible.

Anyway, onto dinner... I love this mostly because of the flavor it gets from the sherry. I wish I could use broccoli from my grandfathers garden, it's so good... but I'll just have to stick to what I can get from the grocery store.

 
Chicken Divan

3 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets and halfway cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sherry
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
cayenne, sprinkled on top

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and make a roux.
  • Add the chicken broth and let thicken, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the sherry, cream and parmesan and bring to a slight boil.
  • Place the broccoli into a casserole dish, then layer the chicken and pour the sauce mixture over the top.
  • Sprinkle with the cayenne pepper {amount that is desired}.
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.


I served this over basmati rice!


Ashley