Baked Pasta with Sausage Tomato Sauce

I really like this sauce, it's similar to the spahgetti sauce I made last month but instead it has only sausage, less tomatoes and red wine is added for extra flavor. I'm using it in this baked pasta and I was planning on adding sauteed mushrooms but I completely forgot... maybe next time.

 


Baked Pasta with Sausage Tomato Sauce

1 lb italian sausage {hot}
3-4 cloves garlic
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon sugar





  • In a pot over medium-high heat, add the sausage and cook thoroughly. Add the garlic and continue to cook, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, basil and sugar, stir to combine.
  • Simmer for about 1 hour.

16 oz cottage cheese {large curd}
1 1/2 cups italian cheese blend, shredded
2 oz parmesan cheese
2 oz romano cheese
1 egg
salt and pepper, to taste

  • In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until combined.


1 lb pasta, cooked
1/2 cup italian cheese blend

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix the cooked pasta and sausage tomato sauce together.
  • Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and layer half of the pasta mixture on the bottom, followed by the cheese mixture and than the remainder of the pasta. 
  • Sprinkle with cheese and bake covered for 20 minutes and uncovered for 10-15 minutes.


I served this with a side salad mixed with blue cheese vinaigrette. The salad mix I bought at the store was a basic spring mix with fresh herbs -- dill and cilantro were what I noticed most. I also put some of our roma "grape" tomatoes in it.


Ashley

Comments

Popular Posts