I'm so excited!!! We are going skydiving and rafting in Moab on Sunday. It's going to be a new thrill for me, seeing as I've never really done either. But anyway, I saw this recipe last week and immediately it piqued my interest. I love mediterranean inspired food, honestly it's some of my favorite things to eat; doner kebabs are amazing. This is a simple recipe with lots of flavor and I was excited to finally use some of the basil in our garden. It's been begging to be used.
Mediterranean Chicken and Pasta Bake
Recipe adapted from The Clever Carrot
2 garlic cloves, thinly slices
3 tablespoons marinade from artichoke hearts
2 tablespoons oregano leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 lb fusili pasta, cooked
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 cup white beans, rinse and drain
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
1/3 cup basil, chopped
2 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the artichoke hearts reserving the juice. To a large bowl, add the chicken, artichoke juice, garlic, and oregano leaves. Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar, and mix well to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- To a casserole dish, add the sliced onions and tomatoes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the tomatoes begin to burst, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet warm 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the chicken on both sides and make sure it's thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Add the cooked pasta, chicken, artichoke hearts, beans, olives, and chopped herbs. Stir to combine.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for an additional 6 minutes until the cheese is melted. To brown the cheese pop it under the broiler for a minute.