Chicken Tikka Saag

This is one of my all time favorite dishes to eat. I've been going to the same Indian restaurant for about 4 years now and they make it perfectly. So rich and creamy! Indian food is definitely my favorite cuisine. I decided to jump into this with an open mind, knowing full well that it might not live up to my favorite restaurants style of preparation, but why not learn how to make it seeing as I love to cook. 

I made the sauce as noted, but added jalapenos to the mix. I like spicy food as some people who read my blog may know. I ended up with a beautifully flavored sauce that had a hint of all the spices and spinach. I'm very happy with it and think that it's a must try for anyone that loves curry, or is looking to start... because everyone should!

Chicken Tikka Saag

1 recipe chicken tikka, cooked {chicken only}

Saag:
Recipe adapted from All Recipes

2 10 oz bags of spinach, blanched
3 tablespoons fenugreek powder
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 onions, thin sliced
4 tablespoons cumin powder
4 tablespoons garam marsala
2 tablespoons tumeric powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 tablespoons ginger {paste or fresh, chopped}
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 jalapenos, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup heavy cream, more if needed

  • Blanch the spinach and blend it for 5-7 seconds and transfer into a container.
  • In a pan over medium high heat add the oil and onions. Cook the onions for 3-4 minutes and add the spices, ginger, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. 
  • Add the tomatoes and cook until they start to breakdown, about 10 minutes. Once ready, you can start adding the cream. Reduce the heat to low and let the flavors meld. After about 3 minutes, add half of the mixture to the mixer and blend until smooth, adding more cream if needed.
  • Add this mixture to the spinach and combine completely.
  • To the other half of the onion-tomato mixture, start adding 1 large spoonful of the spinach mixture at a time and combine thoroughly. Testing the flavor every time until you find it acceptable.
  • Add the chicken tikka to the saag sauce and let the mixture cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, or longer.

*I added about 5-6 large spoonfuls and more cream to get it to the consistency that I wanted. You can also keep reducing the mixture to help intensify the flavors.


I served this with basmati rice and yummy naan!


Ashley

Comments

Popular Posts