I love trying new things, particularly ingredients I've never worked with. I took the plunge and decided to use quinoa. Yes, I've eaten it before, just never gotten the chance to make something with it myself. This salad might not look as desirable to eat, but it sure is delicious!
Cilantro-Chickpea Quinoa Salad with Lemon Dressing
Recipe adapted from The Diva Dish
1/2 cup dry quinoa
2 cups spinach
1 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 avocados, diced
2 lemons, juiced
1 lemon, zested
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak the quinoa in a pot in the vegetable stock for about 15 minutes. After that, turn on the heat to medium-high and let the quinoa come to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let the quinoa simmer. Stir every so often, and cook the quinoa for about 20-25 minutes, just until the liquid absorbs.
- In a food processor, add your spinach and cilantro. Process the greens until they are finely diced. Add the greens to a bowl, and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and chickpeas to the greens mixture and stir until everything is combined and coated. If the quinoa is cooled, you can add it to the mixture.
- Make your dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Pour it over the salad, and mix until combined. Add in tomatoes and avocado and mix.
- Set in refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes before serving.