French Onion Soup

So this recipe came from the Cooking Around the World for Dummies book I'll be likely using for my restaurant class in a few weeks. I first had it when I went to the summer semesters french week lunch. I'm sure they used a freshly made beef or veal stock which made it even better! I decided to do half sherry and half white wine as well, the original recipe called for 2/3 cup of sherry or vermouth. I really should go and buy some vermouth, I remember loving the smell of it when my mom would cook with it. It kind of reminds me of home. You can also use a variety of cheeses: emmenthaler, gruyere, provolone... etc.


French Onion Soup
Recipe adapted from Cooking Around the World

3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cups of onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon thyme {dried}
1/3 cup sherry
1/3 cup white wine
4 cups beef broth
salt and pepper, to taste

french bread, sliced
cheese, grated {I used jarlsberg}

  • Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized and a light golden brown.
  • Add the thyme, sherry and white wine. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Place the french bread slices on a baking sheet and top with the cheese of your choice. Bake until the cheese is melted and browned.
  • Place 2 pieces of bread on top of the soup.



Ashley

Comments

  1. When do you add the wine? same time as the sherry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Christa. I forgot to type in white wine after sherry. It's added in now, sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  2. It's on the stove right now...Smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts