About a year and an half ago we went to Park City to watch Chris run a marathon and before eating lunch went into a store called It's F'N Hot. They sell many different kinds of hot sauces, salsas, drink mixes, spices and even dried peppers. I knew Tim would love the store, so I made it a priority stop. We sat at the counter and taste tested many different hot sauces, many being made from ghost chili and trinadad scorpion peppers. We also discovered that many of the sauces had added pepper extract which gave them that burning pain you usually feel when you eat them. We aren't too fond of those so we went with a more pure sauce, just the pepper and a few ingredients. Tim's been eating it on literally everything which means we will need more soon!
While we were there, his dad picked up a seasoning called Slap Ya Mama, a southern spice seasoning. I decided to use it in our stuffed peppers to give them an extra kick.
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6-8 oz hot italian sausage
2 cups rice, cooked
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon slap ya mama seasoning
salt, to taste
6-8 peppers, seeded and halved
1/2 cup cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add the butter and cook the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the sausage and cook until the sausage is completely cooked. Add the cooked rice, tomato sauce, slap ya mama seasoning and salt.
- Cut the peppers tops off, seed them and cut in halve, if needed. Depending on the type and size of the pepper halving might not be necessary.
- Stuff each pepper with the sausage-rice mixture and put onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Post a Comment