A couple of months ago I made shrimp and andouille with cheese grits and red wine gravy and had leftover andouille sausage. Keeping with the cajun theme this gumbo is the perfect way to use them. It's an easy weeknight dinner full of flavor.
Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
Recipe adapted from I'm Topsy Turvy
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup flour
2 andouille sausage, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 tablespoon creole spice blend
2 bay leaves
1 can ro-tel
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat cook the oil and flour until it's a light cooper color.
- Add the andouille, onion and green peppers and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring mixture to a simmer with the lid on.
- Turn the heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.